Reading Scientific Services Limited (RSSL)
Reading Scientific Services Limited (RSSL) provides unique opportunities in the provision of scientific analysis, research, consultancy and training to the food and pharmaceutical sectors. We apply leading-edge science with integrity and service to exceed expectations and deliver greater value to our clients. In RSSL we are customer focused, science led and results driven. The RSSL Pharmaceutical Development laboratory performs a wide range of projects with analytical development, stability and release for pharmaceutical and healthcare companies. The department also provides analytical support to formulation, cleaning validation, impurity isolation and sample purification.
The role of Laboratory Manager is to take responsibility for the running of the Pharmaceutical Development laboratory. This encompasses the management of contractual operations, maintenance and progression of the laboratory’s quality systems, maintenance of the health and safety programme and laboratory budgetary responsibilities. You will manage a team of scientific staff and be accountable for ensuring that work is processed in a timely fashion whilst adhering to the prerequisite quality standards standards expected by RSSL clients.
The individual in this position has demonstrated the necessary technical knowledge and business acumen to implement the strategic direction for business growth. Additionally, the individual has strong people management skills to influence, manage and motivate a diverse group of scientists comprising different disciplines and capabilities.
Technical and Operational
- Provide high quality customer service at all times by ensuring effective organisation of assigned workload, integrity of analytical data generated and timely/accurate provision of results.
- Maintain a high level of competency in the use of the laboratories LIMS & data handling systems (CRM and QlikView) to effectively manage workflow & monitor financial performance. Provide support to senior management to ensure the smooth business and scientific operation of the Pharmaceutical Development Laboratory.
- Effective project management of assigned business process implementation.
- Build and maintain strong customer / external relations and ensure client expectations are met / exceeded.
- Build and maintain technical acumen through connecting and communicating with technical experts.
- Collaborate with Commercial and relevant technical staff to identify growth opportunities.
- Plan, allocate and administer resources to support business growth whilst managing the laboratory budget.
- Contribute to the financial contract planning and interim forecast revisions.
- Responsible for Quality and ensuring work is carried out to the highest standard, recorded as required to ensure GMP traceability and reported in a timely and professional manner.
Communication & Influence
- Ensure achievement of principle accountabilities by selection, direction, motivation and management of staff within Pharmaceutical Development. Effectively performance manage all direct reports to the required standard.
- Apply strong interpersonal and networking skills to build and maintain effective working relationships with customers, partners, suppliers and staff.
- Liaise with clients, Technical specialist, Commercial and line management to ensure effective communication of proposals and results.
- Utilise technical and communication skills and actively leverage resources in the generation of new business.
Leadership and supervision
- Ensure performance & development reviews, including objective setting and personal development plans are carried out in accordance with company procedure.
- Ensure all staff are trained in departmental methods and techniques and be accountable for maintaining a compliant training programme.
- Ensure adequate resource to meet departmental commitments. Effectively screen and recruit individuals in line with both financial and strategic requirements.
- Support technical and compliance capability both within and outside of Pharmaceutical Development laboratory.
- Lead the strategic direction of the Pharmaceutical Development Laboratory in collaboration with technical specialists and other contributory scientists and consultants.
- Demonstrate strong organisational skills and a keen eye for detail.
- Ensure laboratory procedures comply with, and that staff work to, the prerequisite standards dictated by GMP
- In conjunction with the QAU, assist with client and regulatory authority audits. Keep abreast of changes to relevant regulatory and company requirements and contribute to the progression of the laboratory quality system.
- Embed & maintain Environment, Health & Safety commitments and responsibilities.
- Write and approve SOPs and Test Methods.
- Generation and approval of Risk Assessments and COSHH.
- Chemistry based Degree or PhD with significant experience in a pharmaceutical / healthcare laboratory environment
- Proven managerial experience with the ability to motivate, coach and develop others.
- In-depth knowledge of both technical area of expertise & business environment
- Substantial knowledge of Quality as applicable in the pharmaceutical industry (GMP) and the associated regulatory bodies guiding the pharmaceutical industry (MHRA, FDA).
- Experience in Operational Management
- Good knowledge of LIMS, CRM and Qlik View.
- English fluency (written and spoken)
- Experience of working for, or with, a CRO
We pride ourselves on having a high performing and collaborative culture where we offer support and development to enhance your career and develop your knowledge and skills.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package within a highly successful International business that offers financial rewards and resources, including bonus scheme, contributory pension, life assurance, generous holiday allowance and a flexible benefits programme.